15 November 2016

FWS News Feed: 15 years ago...HALO: Combat Evolved is Released

Today is one of the most important dates in military science fiction history: the original HALO game, Combat Evolved is released for the original Xbox console in 2001. This game became a worldwide phenomenon that altered video games, the gaming culture, and the entire genre of military science fiction forever. No one knew or predict that this little first-person futuristic shooter on a brand new home video game console would become a franchise worth billions....Especially me. Oddly, the first time I heard of HALO: Combat Evolved was due to a television advertisement for the game during an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. Little did I know that what I was watching would alter my life and give rise to FWS. Despite the many other HALO games that have come out via Bungie and 343 Industries over three generations of home consoles, the original 2001 game continues to be ranked as the best of the series, especially in my mind. Not only is my favorite video game, but is the best military SF video game of all time. Back in 2001, I did not own an original Xbox until a few years after the launch of HALO: CE...it would take a home robbery for me in 2004 to convert over to the true faith. I took some of the insurance money around Xmas of 2004 and bought the last original Xbox at Ridgemar Mall in Fort Worth. I bought the massive black box along with ROBOTECH: Battle Cry and HALO: CE. For that first moment I played it, it altered my life and rekindled my love of military science fiction. So, today, dig out your original Xbox and your original copy of HALO: CE and settle into this classic.          

7 comments:

  1. Well, it was not a worldwide phenomenon, more like western hemisphere one. The original Xbox was never really popular in most countries, way less than PS and PS2 in Central Europe. Not even to say, that there was no Live! coverage in many countries.

    Here, in Central Europe, where PC gaming was widespread, the original Halo never really took off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting how, at times, FWS can be very american/west hemispheric centered. I always believed that while the Xbox was not successful in Asia as the other two systems, I always figured the rest of the global had embraced the Master Chief...thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all its flaws I fell in love with Halo after playing Halo CE (the PC version) It is a fine game and a classic. Xbox, FWS and my interest in Halo fan-fiction would not exist without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only issue I ever had with Halo was the fan base acted as if Halo invented the damn FPS. I would be talking about Half-Life or Bio Shock with a co-worker and then our resident Master Chief fan would butt; "...yeah but it's not Halo, Halo is just better." It really rubbed me the wrong way before I could give it a chance, I didn't start to warm up to the series until ODST (which was very well done) That aside, it was great to see a Sci-fi/FPS character become so celebrated (you always see a Spartan at a Comic Con) and Halo raised the bar for the genre as a whole. Here's to Halo inspiring another generation of Space Marines as Aliens and Doom before it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this. Some gamers forget their own history. Without Wolfenstein, there would be no HALO. Without QUAKE, there would no HALO. Without Marathon there would be no HALO. Much like elements of civilization, there is a previous culture which our modern culture is constructed upon. One day, the true successor to HALO would rise on the foundation of this game. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, HALO was THE FPS title for the XBox. It looked good, was fast paced (for a console) and - most importantly - network multiplayer.
    So, for people that grew up playing on consoles it was the defining title, as they didn't have Doom, Duke 3D or Quake, as we, economically impaired PC players from far away countries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure what the fate of the original Xbox would have been without HALO. It was the kill app for the new home video console and the series being an Xbox only exclusive created a loyal built-in customer base. I, for one, have been loyal to the Xbox console line for three generations now. Back in the day, I jumped from ATARI 2600 to an NES to an Genesis to an IBM PC. I don;t believe I would be as loyal without HALO.

    ReplyDelete